Thursday 15 November 2012

Generous God, aged mother and loving me!


That is called vagaries of God. I have been getting this strong urge to give up my most notorious habit, my longtime companion, the balm of my hurt mind, great nature’s main course for me– booze! But then, the second thought about it shudders me the most.

It was a couple of years ago, my mother in her mid-seventies, came to visit the city.  Like any other devout Hindu of her age, she too is passionate about visiting shrines.

As part of her temple itinerary, I took her to a famous temple on the outskirts of  the city, fondly called the abode of ‘VISA God’, for his generosity in grating the wishes of US aspirants in the State. I cautioned my mother not to make any wishes as the God here is so peculiar in nature that He wants the beneficiaries to come back and make 108 rounds around the temple once the wish is granted.

We had a tough time having the darshan of Lord among thousands of others and managed to come out. Everything was fine until my mother declared that she too made a wish. Oh Lord, pardon her she did not know what she did! And out of curiosity I asked her what was her wish. To my utter relief, she said he asked the God to make me stop boozing!

I said ok, you would never need to take 108 rounds of the temple. And over the past two years her arthritis worsened and was hospitalized twice and is advised to take bed rest most of the time. I am sure if she knows that I am quitting the habit, she would sure insist to come here and do that perilous task of taking rounds of the temple.

It will sure make her more ill and God may do a miracle, but I am not sure.

I love my mother very much. So guys, I am not quitting my habit of drinking, I am gonna keep my companion closer to my heart. I am gonna resume my longtime chore as usual. Wish me all the bests!

No comments:

Post a Comment